As we were eating lunch after church, I noticed Jack had what looked like a blister on his thumb. I also noticed that it was red on either side of the blister and there was puss inside. The other weird thing as you can kind of see on the picture below was the green dot in the middle. We hadn't seen this earlier in the morning and no one had said anything about it when we picked him up from Sunday School, so I didn't think it had been there that long. We decided since it was close to nap time we'd let him nap and see how he was doing afterwards.
Jack's nap was unsuccessful. I think it was because he couldn't put his thumb in his mouth (we had put a band-aid on his thumb) and he wasn't able to find anything to soothe himself to sleep. I'm guessing it also hurt and he wasn't feeling well. While he was laying in his crib, I decided to post the picture I took of his thumb on our Sunday School women's Facebook page. I knew there were many nurses who could offer advice. My main question was "should I take him today to a Care Now or wait to take him to the doctor tomorrow?" One of our friends texted me and said it looked like it could be Staph and we should probably take him today just to be safe.
So we did. They poked his blister and drained it which I think helped relieve some of the pressure. The only time Jack cried was after they had poked it, when they squeezed alcohol on it. They took a sample and about 4 days later confirmed it was RSVA, which is a form of Staph. Before we left Care Now, they gave us an oral antibiotic and a cream to help clear up the infection. For the next week or so we fully covered his thumb with a band-aid. He moved from sucking his thumb to sucking his fingers for a few weeks but eventually that stopped and now is finger free!
You can see a big transition from his 17 months bear pictures to 22 months. I would try so hard to get a picture without his thumb or fingers in his mouth and at 22 months his hands are no where near his face.
Sunday, April 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Baby Jack
About Me
- Cindy
- Busy Busy Busy...love my life as a wife and a mom.
The Goodyear Family
0 comments:
Post a Comment